Hello, my name is Mrs. V. Cerda. This year we will be working diligently for a successful school year. Reading is one of the most important skills in life and will be stressed all year long. Please make sure that you read at least 5 days a week at home. I also teach Science which is essential for properly understanding our world.
The goal of Fifth Grade is to help students become independent learners, preparing them to assume the additional responsibilities of middle school. The students are expected to acquire new knowledge from content area reading and apply previously learned skills and concepts to new materials and situations.
Students should be able to:
· Read and comprehend text at the end of fifth grade reading level (5-2) with at least 90% accuracy.
· Write a composition (scoring 3 or higher) reflecting good organization of ideas with grade-appropriate grammatical fluency and spelling.
· Complete complex addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division multi-step problems.
· Recall basic multiplication and division facts with speed and accuracy.
· Demonstrate critical thinking skills through problem solving activities.
· Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific process.
I welcome all parental questions/concerns at any time. Feel free to contact me through email or phone. Thank you